Friday, March 5, 2010

Fire Alarm!

So this is my most recent culinary masterpiece. I decided one night to make a quesadilla for dinner. The way I usually do it is to put my oven on broil and then it only takes about a minute and a half to get all melty and toasty- instead of having it kind of soggy from the microwave. Well time saver that I am, I decided I would attempt to make nachos the same way at the same time. Not even 30 seconds goes by after putting the pan in the oven and smoke is billowing out of the door! I ran over to turn off the oven and pull out the pan and my nachos are literally on fire! Then the fire alarm starts blaring and is making it so I can't even think straight (whose idea was it to make them so piercingly loud??) So I'm sitting there holding the flaming food and stupidly blowing at the fire like its a birthday cake or something while simultaneously yelling "Oh Crap! Oh Crap!" ... my roommates came out just in time to watch me panicking and blowing out the fire. Then after the fire is blown out for some reason I took the pan outside to let it cool...? Don't ask. I wasn't in my right mind. I was able to salvage my quesadilla, but as you can see the nachos were lost in this tragic incident.
.
.
I promise I'm a better cook than this photo indicates (1-my ability to misjudge necessary temperature and 2) my choice in food) How was I to know that processed cheese was so flamable???

2 comments:

Elise and Lane said...

First. Don't blame the cheese. :) Second. The BEST way to do a quick (not soggy) quesadilla is to do it in a skillet. Still pretty quick but you get the toasty crisp shell and melted cheese.

And if you need any more cheese cooking tips... you know who to go to.

MeganKalynn said...

of course! i should have known to go to you first! =)

thanks for the tip!... maybe consider putting that on the recipe site!